Monday, October 5, 2009

Digging Deeper Day 13

Barrier: Haughtiness


Old Testament Meaning
Definition
to be high, be exalted
to be high, lofty, tall
to be exalted
to be lofty 1a
to be lofty (of Jehovah's ways - good sense) 1a
to be haughty, be arrogant (bad sense)
to make high, exalt pride, majesty, a rising up
a rising up, swelling (of the sea)
majesty (of Israel)
pride, haughtiness
Word Usage - Total: 53
exalt 9, ... up 9, haughty 5, higher 4, high 3, above 1, height 1, proud 1, upward 1,pride 9, excellency 3, haughtiness 2, arrogancy 1, highness 1, proud 1, proudly 1, swelling 1

What makes haughtiness a sin is the fact that it is an attitude reserved for God. As you see the word means high and exalted. Haughtiness, therefore is not a sin when referring to God… He is higher than us… For example the word for haughty is used to refer to God in these passages:

Isaiah 55:9
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Psalm 103:11
For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him.
Psalm 68:34
Ascribe ye strength unto God: his excellency is over Israel, and his strength is in the clouds.

HAUGHTINESS AS A BARRIER
Proverbs 17:19
He loveth transgression that loveth strife: and he that exalteth his gate seeketh destruction.
Proverbs 18:12
Before destruction the heart of man is haughty, and before honour is humility.

Psalm 10:2
The wicked in his pride doth persecute the poor: let them be taken in the devices that they have imagined.
Psalm 31:18
Let the lying lips be put to silence; which speak grievous things proudly and contemptuously against the righteous.
Psalm 31:23
O love the LORD, all ye his saints: for the LORD preserveth the faithful, and plentifully rewardeth the proud doer.
Psalm 36:11
Let not the foot of pride come against me, and let not the hand of the wicked remove me.
Proverbs 29:23
A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit
.

New Testament Meaning
Definition
high, lofty
exalted on high
with an uplifted arm, i.e. with signal power
metaph. eminent, exalted
in influence and honour
to set the mind on, to seek, high things (as honours and riches), to be aspiring
NAS Word Usage - Total: 11
conceited* 1, exalted 1, haughty 1, high 6, highly esteemed 1, uplifted 1

Romans 11:20
Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear;
Romans 12:16
Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but
associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation.
Breakthrough: Brokenness
Old Testament Meaning: to be broken, be maimed, be crippled, be wrecked
Psalm 34:18
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted, And saves those who are crushed in spirit.
Psalm 51:17
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; A broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise.
Psalm 147:3
He heals the brokenhearted, And binds up their wounds.
Isaiah 61:1
The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, Because the Lord has anointed me To bring good
news to the afflicted; He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to captives, And freedom to prisoners;
Psalm 51: 1 Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. 2 Wash away all my iniquity and
cleanse me from my sin. 3 For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. 4 Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you are proved right when you speak and justified when you judge. 5 Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. 6 Surely you desire truth in the inner parts; you teach me wisdom in the inmost place.
7 Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. 8 Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice. 9 Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. 10 Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. 11 Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. 12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation and
grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. 13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will turn back to you.
14 Save me from bloodguilt, O God, the God who saves me, and my tongue will sing of your righteousness. 15 O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise. 16 You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. 17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. 18 In your good pleasure make Zion prosper; build up the walls of Jerusalem. 19 Then there will be righteous sacrifices, whole burnt offerings to delight you; then bulls will be offered on your altar.

No comments:

Post a Comment